INDIANAPOLIS - The top federal administrator has been removed from the National Weather Service office in Indianapolis amid a sexual harassment investigation that now involves police.
The National Weather Service confirmed that Daniel McCarthy, 56, the meteorologist in charge since 2007, has been relieved of his command until the internal investigation has concluded.
Police were called when a 32-year-old woman who is involved in the case reported she started receiving threats on Facebook from a different coworker's wife.
The woman told police she was threatened with physical harm in some of the postings on Facebook.
Metro Police officers reported that she forwarded them copies of some of the messages, but she said she had deleted the most serious messages that actually threatened harm because she did not want her other Facebook friends to see them.
The acting meteorologist in charge, Steve Eddy, who was brought in to take the helm during the investigation, told the Call 6 Investigators that he had no details about the allegations against McCarthy. But he added that the removal of someone from the top job "doesn't mean they're guilty."
He said McCarthy would remain off the job until the National Weather Service wraps up its internal investigation and either rules on punishment or clears him and returns him to the leadership role.
Eddy learned from the Call 6 Investigators that a police report had been filed on the Facebook threats, so he said that would now be included in the federal agency's internal investigation.
He said no other employees had been removed from their job assignments, including the woman who reported the threats and the man whose wife is accused of sending those threats to her.
Reached at his home on Friday evening, McCarthy said, "Weather Service policy is not to comment."
He referred questions about the investigation to his Michigan attorney, who could not be reached late Friday.
On his blog, McCarthy posted that he was appointed as the Meteorologist in Charge at Indianapolis in July 2007. He also listed that he is married with three children.
The woman who filed the police report about the Facebook threats could not be reached on Friday evening.