Neighbor rescues baby from burning Indianapolis home
No serious injuries reported
Last Updated: 260 days ago
INDIANAPOLIS - A neighbor rushed into a burning home and saved a baby on Indianapolis' north side Tuesday.
Firefighters were called to a home at 3949 Boulevard Place just before 12:30 p.m. on a report of heavy smoke and flames.
Rashiea Alsul, 32, was home with her two sons, 4 and 1 years old, when she said she believes the older boy was playing with a lighter and started the blaze in a bedroom.
Alsul was able to escape the home with the 4-year-old, but said she wasn't able to grab the younger boy.
That's when Ladonna Thomas sprang into action.
Alsul and the 1-year-old were taken to Wishard Memorial Hospital in good condition to be checked out for smoke inhalation.
Thomas said she doesn't want the attention that has come along with her actions.
"I had gratification when he grabbed my neck and he hugged me tight. That was gratification enough for me," she said.
The family's dog, Lucky, was found on the front porch of the home and was given oxygen at the scene.
Firefighters brought the blaze under control in 15 minutes. The home is believed to be a total loss.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.