LEBANON, Ind. - A Lebanon, Ind., Kroger grocery store is back open and ready for shoppers after a fire broke out in the building Tuesday evening.
The fire was reported at the Boone County store in the 2400 block of North Lebanon Street just before 8 p.m. Tuesday.
A Kroger spokesman said a fire broke out in a wall produce case which caused a fair amount of smoke to fill the building. There were about 20 to 30 people inside the store at the time and all employees and customers were evacuated from the store.
The Lebanon Fire Department was able to put the fire out quickly and no injuries were reported.
The 24-hour store was expected to remain closed until the Boone County Health Department and the Kroger Food Safety Team could determine when the store was safe to reopen, which ended up being around 10-11 a.m. Tuesday.
Officials said it could be approximately 24 to 48 hours to allow for the proper cleaning and replacement of necessary items.
"Thanks to the very prompt and effective action by the Lebanon Fire Department, damage was limited to the one merchandising case. No other areas of the store were impacted," officials wrote.
Officials also noted that access to the produce department was going to be blocked, but it should open up by noon Wednesday.
Plane of Ind. dad-son team crashes during flight
The plane of an Indiana father-son team attempting to fly around the world has crashed after taking off from American Samoa.
Ex-employee says prison workers had sex on desk
Indiana's prison agency mistreated a female employee when it shrugged off her complaints about workers having sex on her desk and when it…
David Bisard files appeal in conviction
Lawyers for former Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Officer Davis Bisard filed an appeal Wednesday after he was convicted in 2013…
Carmel restaurant faces health dept. violations
Despite reports of several customers complaining of being sickened from salmonella at the Agave Bar and Grill in Carmel, the restaurant's…
Danville women accused of arson
Two women are accused of setting a home on fire to collect insurance money.
Cooler, less humid through Friday
This weekend: Warm and humid with daily chance of t'storms.