17-year-old charged in Lawrence Central shooting

INDIANAPOLIS -- Formal charges have been filed against a 17-year-old who allegedly shot a 15-year-old outside of the Lawrence Central High School gym Friday.

Paul Raynor, 17, has been charged with criminal recklessness, carrying a handgun without a license and dangerous possession of a firearm. 

Raynor allegedly shot the 15-year-old outside the Lawrence Central High School gym as the boys' basketball game against Warren Central was wrapping up.

The shooting victim was taken to Riley Hospital but has since been released.

"Apparently the victim and potential suspect were in some type of an argument inside, the argument went outside between the two individuals, resulted in the victim being shot in the leg," Lawrence Police Capt. Gary Woodruff said. 

Police say the fight started during the last 20 seconds of the basketball game. 

Witnesses identified Rayner, Lawrence North student, as a suspect. Rayner was brought to police by a parent. According to police, the 17-year-old admitted to firing several shots outside of the gym. 

Both teens involved said they had been in an ongoing dispute for over a year, according to police. 

"This was not a random event. This was very specifically targeted two individuals or perhaps groups of individuals that were having an ongoing dispute. Definitely not any kind of random event and we're very happy to get the individual responsible into custody," Woodruff said. 

Authorities estimate 2,500 people were attending the basketball game at the time of the shooting. 

The Metropolitan School District of Lawrence Township released the following statement about the shooting: 

This evening just before 9:30 PM, shots were fired outside of the gymnasium at Lawrence Central High School as the basketball game against Warren Central concluded. A 15 year old student from Lawrence Central was shot in the leg and was immediately taken to the hospital. The scene was secured by the authorities and fans were evacuated from the gymnasium. Police believe they have identified a potential suspect. Our first concern is for the safety and well-being of students, their families, and those impacted by the events of this evening.

This incident is not a reflection of the outstanding students of Lawrence Central High School, but of an individual who has no respect for our community or our schools. The MSD of Lawrence Township has established a safety plan and lockdown procedures that contribute to, and maintain a safe environment for our students. Security was on campus at the time of the event, both inside and out, and was able to immediately respond to the situation.

In the wake of this event, school personnel will be reviewing all information from the police and will work to assure that our students and families will be safe in the future.

There were more than 20 officers already at Lawrence Central for security since it was a big game. Police say they kept an eye on the crowd but no one was searched.




Download the new and improved RTV6 app to get the latest news on the go and receive alerts to your phone

Sign up to have the latest news headlines delivered straight to your email inbox


Print this article Back to Top

Stay Connected Wherever You Are