WARSAW, Ind. - A northern Indiana couple was high on methamphetamine while their 12-year-old son was dying from the fumes emitted by two gas-powered generators powering their home, prosecutors allege.
Darrick Spore, 34, and Candy Sue Chamness, 33, have been charged with neglect and reckless homicide in connection with the June 28 death of Skyler Spore. Both parents were being held Monday on $150,000 bonds at the Kosciusko County Jail. Jail records did not indicate whether either had an attorney.
Police found Skyler dead in the home about 30 miles southeast of South Bend while two gas-powered generators were running. An autopsy determined he died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
The parents and another child also were home when Skyler died.
While responding to a 911 call from the home, emergency dispatchers received another call requesting a welfare check of the children at the home.
Police and medics found Skyler lying dead on the floor of an upstairs bedroom in the home, which was full of carbon monoxide fumes. He had been dead for several hours. Officers learned that Chamness and Spore were high on meth when the boy died, according to a probable cause affidavit filed with the charges on Friday.
Officers discovered that the home's electricity had been disconnected the previous day, and the generators had been activated and placed in the basement and a porch area for electricity.
Suspected Ind. serial killer charged in 1 death
A man suspected in the deaths of seven women in northwestern Indiana has been charged in one of the slayings.
Police: Indiana suspect hints at more killings
Police investigating the slayings of seven northwestern Indiana women whose bodies were found over the weekend said Monday it could be the…
Martin University hosts forum on Ferguson
Citizens and community leaders gathered on Monday evening to discuss whether Indianapolis could become the next Ferguson, Missouri.
Jockeys to honor late teenage rider Juan Saez
Jockeys nationwide will honor the 17-year-old apprentice who was killed in a riding accident recently.
Ind. girl recovering at home after shark bite
A Greencastle girl was recovering at home after she nearly lost her foot in a shark attack last week in South Carolina.
Man to serve 4 years for fatal hit-and-run
An 18-year-old Niles, Michigan, man will serve four years in prison for fatally striking a pedestrian with his car and fleeing the scene of…