Police find bombs, guns, illegal deer while executing search warrant
Man faces 10 felonies, 3 misdemeanors
Last Updated: 48 days ago
CLAY COUNTY, Ind. - Police executing a search warrant at a Clay County home found several homemade explosives, drugs, a stolen all-terrain vehicle and an illegally killed deer.
Indiana State Police said they arrested Steven A. Smith, 49, of Cory, Ind., after a Monday morning search at 1470 S. County Road 425 W.
Officials said the search warrant was obtained after police saw marijuana plants during a flyover of the property.
Police said they found five pipe bombs, an explosive device made from a carbon dioxide cartridge, a stolen ATV and a "harvested deer taken out of season."
Officials said they also recovered nine rifles, six pistols and two shotguns, plus ammunition, items used to grow marijuana and 140 grams of what they believed to be marijuana.
Police said Smith has a no-contact order from a Vigo County court that prohibits him from having firearms, deadly weapons and ammunition.
In all, Smith is facing 10 felony charges and three misdemeanors, police said.
The charges include:
- Six counts of possession of destructive device, Class C felony
- Cultivating marijuana (over 30 grams), Class D felony
- Possession of marijuana (over 30 grams), Class D felony
- Maintaining a common nuisance, Class D felony
- Receiving Stolen Property, Class D felony
- Invasion of privacy (violating no contact order), misdemeanor
- Illegal possession/taking of a deer, misdemeanor
- Hunting with illegal weapon or ammunition, misdemeanor
Smith is being held in the Clay County Jail.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.