Loogootee, Ind. - Indiana State Police are investigating the death of a Martin County toddler who became asphyxiated by a car seat.
Police said the child's babysitter had buckled the child into a car seat on Wednesday in Loogootee when she realized the 11-month-old needed a change of diaper.
The babysitter told police that she unfastened the crotch buckle of the seat and left the room to get another diaper. Police said the babysitter reported she was gone from the room for no more than two minutes to get the diaper and refill a drink for another child.
When she returned, the babysitter found that the child had slid down in the seat and become asphyxiated by the upper portion of the seat harness.
The babysitter called 911 and performed CPR until emergency crews arrived. Despite their efforts, the child was pronounced dead on scene.
An autopsy was scheduled to be performed Thursday.
What's so different about Indiana's RFRA?
Indiana faces potentially the worst public relations crisis in its history over the Religious Freedom Restoration Act – a piece of…
Chicago mayor coaxes anti-RFRA biz to leave Ind.
In the continued fallout of the Religious Freedom Reformation Act, Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel made a power move Monday aimed at persuading…
3,000 Hoosier tax returns targeted
Security features first used in 2014 continue to pay off for Hoosier taxpayers this tax season.
GOP lawmakers work to clarify RFRA
Just one day after Gov. Mike Pence defended the Religious Freedom Restoration Act on the national stage, Indiana Republicans say they're…
Firefighters battle blaze inside Zionsville home
ZIONSVILLE -- Residents in one Boone County neighborhood were on alert early Monday after a fire sparked in a home near Interstate 865.