INDIANAPOLIS -- Congressman André Carson says he received a death threat in his Washington, D.C. office Monday – the same day he criticized Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's plan to ban all Muslims from the country.
Carson, a member of the House Armed Services Committee and one of only two Muslim members of the U.S Congress, said Trump's proposal was "asinine."
"Today, Donald Trump once again proved he lacks the judgement to serve as Commander in Chief of this great nation," Carson said. "It is unbelievable that a candidate for President of the United States has made such an asinine comment."
He was joined in condemning Trump's statements by fellow Democrats, as well as members of Trump's own Republican Party: Ohio Gov. John Kasich described Trump's statements as "outrageous divisiveness; while former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush call the real estate mogul "unhinged."
"Once again, Donald Trump has chosen bombastic rhetoric over sound judgement," Senator Dan Coats (R-Indiana) said in a tweet.
Trump's proposal came less than a week after a terrorist attack by a Muslim couple in San Bernardino, California, killed 14 people. The FBI said the couple had been radicalized and had pledged their allegiance to ISIS.
Carson's office said the threat had been forwarded on to Capitol Police.