INDIANAPOLIS - A second teenager who was brain dead for roughly 2 days was pronounced dead early Wednesday morning, following a swimming incident in Edinburgh’s Big Blue River last week.
Michael Chadbourne, 16, was taken to IU Health Methodist in critical condition after he was pulled from the river, but officials confirmed on Monday that he was declared brain-dead and his organs were set to be donated.
UPDATE: The Indiana Department of Natural Resources (DNR) said at 1:49 a.m. Wednesday, Chadbourne was pronounced dead.
Divers found the body of 17-year-old Jason Moran near the base of the dam Sunday morning.
Officials said that 16-year-old Sarah McLevish was swimming with four teenage boys shortly after noon Friday when she was swept over the Edinburgh dam at the Big Blue River and became trapped in an area of roiling water.
The other teens attempted to rescue her but were overcome by the force of the water, which was at flood stage.
Browne said bystanders found McLevish and Chadbourne face-down in the water.
Friends and family tied blue ribbons along the river. They said the ribbons represent being Franklin Strong in support of the teens who died and were injured. Community members hope one day soon the ribbons will be replaced with signs warning of the danger.
Town council members told concerned parents that Edinburgh only owns the dam, so officials will need approval from the Department of Natural Resources to post those warning signs along the river.
McLevish remained in critical condition at the hospital Monday evening.
Officials said Chadbourne was being kept on life support until his organs could be removed for donation.
Watch RTV6 and refresh this page for updates.
Indianapolis named No. 2 spot for college grads
The Circle City was named the No. 2 city for recent college graduates, according to CNBC .
Home intruder shot, killed on Indy's east side
A man breaking into a house on Indianapolis' east side was shot and killed Tuesday morning, police said.
Need a job? Kroger hosting job fair Tuesday
The Kroger in Franklin, Indiana is hosting a job fair Tuesday and Wednesday to try and find workers for multiple shifts.
Candle causes $25,000 of damage in house fire
A candle placed too close to a sofa was the cause of a house fire that broke out early Tuesday morning.
Mother cat and kittens abandoned in cage
The Putnam County Humane Society posted a harsh letter Friday chastising whoever dropped a family full of cats at their front gate with no…