Smoke detector alerts sleeping man to fire

INDIANAPOLIS - Indianapolis firefighters said a smoke detector saved a man's life Saturday after it woke him up during a fire.

IFD crews responded to a fire at the Georgetown Apartments on the3600 block of Bunker Hill Drive just after 10 a.m. Saturday.

Officials said the fire began in the apartment of Robert Taylor, 24, who was asleep at the time. Taylor told police he awoke to the sound of the smoke detector going off and noticed thick smoke filling his apartment. Taylor was able to safely exit the apartment before calling 911.

Firefighters got flames under control in 20 minutes, but said a burst water pipe in the walls contributed to much of the damage, estimated at $50,000.

IFD is working to find temporary housing for Taylor. No other residents were displaced by the fire.

Print this article Back to Top