Smoke inhalation cause of death for 3 children

Surviving child at Riley Hospital in Indianapolis

NEW ALBANY, Ind. - A coroner says smoke inhalation was the cause of death of three young children who died in a house fire in southeastern Indiana.

Floyd County Coroner Leslie Knable tells the News and Tribune (http://bit.ly/1cUxnLz ) the names of the children killed in the fire about 2 a.m. Saturday in New Albany were 2-year-old Trinity Hughes, 4-year-old Tyrese Hughes and 6-year-old Tai'zah Hughes.

Another child, 5-year-old Taty'ana Hughes, survived and is being treated at Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis. New Albany fire officials say all four children were in the same bed when the fire started.

New Albany Fire Department reported the fire was caused by a space heater near the bed where the children were located.

Print this article Back to Top