South side explosion trials could be delayed

Lawyers say they won't be ready by June

INDIANAPOLIS - The trials for the three suspects in the south side explosion case might be delayed until August or September, instead of June, the Call 6 Investigators learned on Tuesday.

No official start date has been set for the trials, but prosecutors told Call 6 Investigator Rafael Sanchez that the proceedings will most likely take place this fall.

Last week, Mark Leonard’s attorney requested an April 2015 trial start, but only if prosecutors provide forensic testing results by the previous month.

The attorney for Leonard’s brother, Bob, said he also would not be ready for a trial in June.

The Leonard brothers and Monserrate Shirley face dozens of charges in connection with their suspected involvement in the 2012 blast that killed two people.

All three have pleaded not guilty. Their next court date is March 21.

Follow Rafael Sanchez on Twitter: @rafaelontv  | Facebook: RafaelSanchezNews

Print this article Back to Top