Thanksgiving cooking mishap blamed in Indianapolis house fire
Grease left on stove
Last Updated: 181 days ago
INDIANAPOLIS - A mother and son narrowly escaped a fire in their home Thanksgiving morning after a cooking accident set the kitchen ablaze.
Firefighters were called to a home at 2868 Forest Manor Drive just before 8 a.m.
Livia Douglas, 46, and her son, Larry Lavante Aaron Giles, 25, were able to escape the burning home before firefighters arrived.
Giles told investigators he was warming up grease on the stove to begin Thanksgiving Day cooking when he fell back asleep.
Douglass woke up to the smell of smoke, roused Giles and they escaped the home.
The damage was estimated at $50,000. Douglas and Giles will stay with family members.
There were no working smoke detectors in the home, investigators said.
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.