INDIANAPOLIS - As Indiana residents assess the storm damage left behind, we want to warn you about storm clean-up scams.
While you may want to get your home fixed (especially your roof) as soon as possible after a storm, there are people out there looking to take advantage of you.
Watch our video for more.
Here are a few items that will help you make the right decision when it comes to hiring a contractor to fix the damage:
- Call your insurance company, file a claim and check to see which contractors are on the company’s approved list.
- Even better: Understand your insurance policy coverage before the storm hits. Never sign over your homeowner’s insurance settlement up front and avoid a company that offers to pay or help with your deductible.
- State law requires a written contract for anything above $150 that should be detailed with the job expectations and a start and end time for the contractor.
- Do not pay in full. Pay as the work gets done. A company that demands payment up front should be carefully considered.
- Look to see whether a company is local. Do they have marked trucks/vehicles? Do they have a local phone number?
- Keep a wary eye out for discounts. Scammers often try to strong-arm homeowners into signing a contract on the spot for a discount. Angie’s List says a deal today should be a deal tomorrow as well.
Highs in 70s! Lows dip into 50s tonight.
The cooler air has arrived! Next two mornings in the 50s!
Former Colts RB Zurlon Tipton killed in shooting
Former Indianapolis Colts running back Zurlon Tipton died Tuesday in an apparent accidental shooting in Michigan.
Fireworks hours go into effect Tuesday night
Fireworks can be set off in Marion County beginning at 5 p.m. on Tuesday.
Cheaper to fill up this Fourth of July weekend
Good news if you're planning to hit the road this Fourth of July holiday weekend.
Indy mailman retires after 56 years of service
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night has stopped Indianapolis Letter Carrier Howard Stevenson from delivering the mail for 56 years.