INDIANAPOLIS - As Indiana residents assess the storm damage left behind, we want to warn you about storm clean-up scams.
While you may want to get your home fixed (especially your roof) as soon as possible after a storm, there are people out there looking to take advantage of you.
Watch our video for more.
Here are a few items that will help you make the right decision when it comes to hiring a contractor to fix the damage:
- Call your insurance company, file a claim and check to see which contractors are on the company’s approved list.
- Even better: Understand your insurance policy coverage before the storm hits. Never sign over your homeowner’s insurance settlement up front and avoid a company that offers to pay or help with your deductible.
- State law requires a written contract for anything above $150 that should be detailed with the job expectations and a start and end time for the contractor.
- Do not pay in full. Pay as the work gets done. A company that demands payment up front should be carefully considered.
- Look to see whether a company is local. Do they have marked trucks/vehicles? Do they have a local phone number?
- Keep a wary eye out for discounts. Scammers often try to strong-arm homeowners into signing a contract on the spot for a discount. Angie’s List says a deal today should be a deal tomorrow as well.
Suspect, victim in murder-suicide identified
Police now know the identities of the two people shot and killed in an apparent murder-suicide on the city's northeast side.
PHOTOS: Storm clouds, hail in central Indiana
Tornado warning and severe storm warnings generate ominous clouds and hail
Police investigating death of 10-year-old boy
Indianapolis police are investigating the death of a 10-year-old boy.
1989 Indy 500: Unser, Jr. and Fittipaldi duel
Qualifying speeds were fast for the 73rd Indianapolis 500. The fastest front row ever averaging more than 223 miles per hour with…
TORNADO WARNINGS for MARION, other counties
TORNADO WARNING ISSUED for SOUTHERN MARION COUNTY including INDIANAPOLIS, SE Hendricks County until 10 p.m. and Boone and Clinton counties…