FISHERS, Ind. - Two young children were able to escape their Fishers home safely after a grease fire spread to the rest of the structure.
Around 8:15 p.m. Thursday night, Fishers firefighters were dispatched to a home on the 9700 block of Springdale Drive.
They arrived to find fire and heavy smoke pouring from a residence.
After extinguishing the fire, emergency crews determined that two children and three pets who were inside the house had escaped safely.
Firefighters said a 6-year-old boy alerted his 9-year-old brother to the fire. The older brother then pushed his younger sibling outside before running for help. The boys told police their parents had left the home for just a few minutes on an errand.
The fire is believed to have begun from grease left unattended on the stove, causing flames which eventually spread to cabinets.
Firefighters estimated damage to the house at $300,000.
Lawmaker wants highway route law re-examined
A central Indiana lawmaker wants to revise a state law restricting the route of the final leg of the Interstate 69 extension between…
Jails revisit 48-hr detention amid lawsuits
Hundreds of people could share in a settlement of a class-action lawsuit filed after they were jailed more than 48 hours without probable…
Nearly 10K more acres in Ind. for farm program
A federal program that rewards farmers for turning some of their land into wildlife habitat has opened up another 9,600 acres of Indiana farmland.
2 adults, young boy die from S. Indiana fire
A fire chief says two adults and a 3-year-old boy died after being unable to escape a fire in a southern Indiana house.
Colts waive Purifoy, sign Brown
The Indianapolis Colts continued to tinker with their roster, and the latest move is a mild surprise.
Ind. mom blows .28% BAC with 9-year-old in car
An Indiana woman was jailed after police said they found her driving with a nearly .3-percent BAC, with a child in the car.