INDIANAPOLIS - Two people died Sunday after a fire broke out in their south side home Saturday night.
The victims were identified as Bettie Bradley, 72, and Henderson Clayton Wyrick, 82, the Marion County Coroner's Office and Indianapolis Fire Department confirmed.
Bradley and Wyrick were brother and sister, according to IFD.
Firefighters were dispatched to the fire Saturday night on the 2700 block of Duane Drive at about 8:30 p.m.
Once at the scene, firefighters quickly located Bradley who was still inside the home. Wyrick and another man, Bradley's 51-year-old son, were outside of the home at the time firefighters arrived.
IFD Capt. Rita Reith said neighbors Duane and Sally Unversaw called 9-1-1 and helped the 51-year-old attempt to enter the home looking for his mother. That effort was hampered by heavy smoke conditions.
Firefighters said family members told them the fire may have been started by unattended smoking materials.
Bradley's son was said to be in good condition.
The family had just this week received a new roof and siding repair due to recent storm damage, according to IFD.
Firefighters estimated damage to the home at $225,000.
Butler University, Muslim community honor Kassig
The final of three tributes concluded Sunday night as people gathered at Butler University to honor an Indiana aid worker killed by Islamic…
Long-standing Catholic churches hold final Mass
It was a bitter sweet Mass on Sunday for several long-standing Catholic churches in Indianapolis set to close their doors after this weekend.
11-year-old Greenwood boy dies in home
Authorities in central Indiana are investigating the death of an 11-year-old boy.
Should Ind. file lawsuit against immigration?
Indiana leaders could take possible legal action against President Obama's administration following his announcement on immigration action.
Indiana DNR offers camping gift cards
Indiana residents stumped by what holiday gift to buy a friend or relative who loves the great outdoors now have the option of reserving them…
Off-duty state trooper extinguishes house fire
An off-duty Indiana State Trooper in Wayne County saved a home from going up in flames on Saturday.