INDIANAPOLIS - United States Attorney Joe Hogsett will be vacating his position at the end of July, he announced Monday.
The decision by the former Indiana secretary of state follows months of speculation that he will seek the Democratic nomination for Indianapolis mayor next year.
Hogsett was sworn into office in October of 2010 as U.S. attorney for Indiana's southern district, and he was unanimously confirmed by the U.S. Senate.
Hogsett sent a letter to U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to announce his decision to resign, but he gave no specific reason for the decision.
Hogsett had said earlier this year he intended to remain U.S. attorney through the end of his term in 2016.
If Hogsett decides to run, he'll become the third democrat in the local Mayor's race, behind Ed Delaney who announced for Mayor last month and behind Frank Short who announced six months ago.
"You know, I just can't speculate on what he's going to do. And I'm not going to do that. I've committed to run for mayor of Indianapolis. I've been out meeting with people, garnering support. I'm going to continue to do that until I hear differently," Short said.
"I want to be mayor and I'm looking at what this means. And I'm waiting to see what he decides to do. I talked about this last fall. I indicated that he would be the best candidate," Delaney said.
Marion County Democratic Chairman Joel Miller said he refuses to speculate about Hogsett's future or about how his potential candidacy could impact the party or the race.
"Having several candidates in the election isn't problematic for our party because we held a convention every spring to select candidates supported by the party going forward into the primary. And that process will work as it has for years," Miller said.
Republican Indianapolis Mayor Greg Ballard hasn't yet said whether
IMS announces 'Lights at the Brickyard' event
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway announced a new "Lights at the Brickyard" holiday event Wednesday.
Warm Overnight. Afternoon T'Storms late Thursday
Warm and humid through Memorial Day Weekend.
8-year-old pulled from Carmel retention pond
Carmel firefighters pulled an 8-year-old boy out of a retention pond near West Carmel Drive Wednesday evening.
PHOTOS: The floats of the 100th Indy 500 Parade
Take a sneak peek at the floats that will take part in the Indianapolis 500 Festival Parade this year.
PHOTOS: Indiana Beach gets facelift for 2016
Indiana Beach officially opened Friday with a new look. Click through the gallery to see what the park has in store for 2016.