INDIANAPOLIS - The television landscape in Indianapolis will change dramatically at the end of the year as WISH-TV loses its 58-year affiliation with CBS.
Tribune Media's Aug. 11 announcement that CBS programming will move to WTTV-TV is the first major affiliation change in Indianapolis since 1979, when RTV6 and WTHR swapped networks, sending ABC to RTV6 and NBC to WTHR.
WISH's owner, LIN Media, has not made a public comment on the change, leaving as many questions as answers about what will happen at the station beginning in January.
The loss of CBS programming is clearly a blow to WISH. Primetime network shows are among the highest-rated programming local stations broadcast.
CBS also owns the rights to the National Football League's AFC broadcasts, including many Indianapolis Colts games.
What can viewers expect?
- Beginning Jan. 1, 2015, all CBS programming will move from WISH to WTTV, the current CW affiliate. CW programming will move to a subchannel of WTTV.
- Tribune Media will own two stations affiliated with top four networks, WXIN with Fox and WTTV with CBS.
- WISH has not said how it will fill its programming void beginning in January. It could operate as an independent or move programming from WNDY, its co-owned My Network TV affiliate. It could also run syndicated programming in primetime.
- Tribune Media has said it will provide local news programming on both WXIN and WTTV.
- LIN has not commented publicly on news programming. WISH could continue to produce local news programming or it could stop offering local news.
- Cable and satellite subscribers will receive CBS programming on a different channel than they do currently.
- Over-the-air viewers will have one of two options to receive CBS programming. One is via WTTV, which transmits from Trafalgar, south of Indianapolis. CBS programming will also be carried on WTTK, which transmits from a tower on Indianapolis' northwest side.
Day care worker accused of battery
An Indiana day care worker was arrested on a felony charge after police accused her of squeezing a 3-year-girl.
Police: Indiana suspect hints at more killings
Investigators in Indiana and Texas are reviewing unsolved murder cases and missing person reports after a man told police he killed seven…
Final 3 autopsies on Gary bodies to be completed
The Lake County coroner's office says autopsies are scheduled to be completed Tuesday for the final three women whose bodies were found in…
Alligator owner, city reach settlement
A woman who housed a 5-foot alligator in her bath tub has reached a settlement agreement with Indianapolis Animal Care and Control, Call 6…
WATCH: Cancer patient gets creative, crafty
A Northern Kentucky woman believes figuring out what to wear shouldn't be among a breast cancer patient's worry.
Person found shot several times in NE Indy
Homicide detectives were on the case of a man who was shot several times - and at least once in the chest.