Worker critically hurt in fall into hog manure pit

GRIFFIN, Ind. - A worker at a southwestern Indiana pig operation has been critically injured after falling into a pit filled with hog manure.

Griffin Fire Chief Tim Compton tells the Evansville Courier & Press that an employee of Griffin Pig fell into an 8-foot-deep pit that is used to hold manure. The manure produces methane gas, which is highly explosive and can cause asphyxiation.

Compton says the incident occurred about 8 a.m. The worker was in the pit for about 45 minutes before another employee noticed and flagged down a Wadesville firefighter.

The firefighter used a rope to lower himself into the pit and rescue the man.

The worker was flown by helicopter to an Evansville hospital. Compton did not release his name.

Print this article Back to Top