Mayor To Announce New Developments In Bisard Case

City Plans 1:30 News Conference

New developments in the case of suspended Indianapolis police Officer David Bisard are expected to be released Tuesday afternoon.

Mayor Greg Ballard and Public Safety Director Frank Straub will hold a 1:30 p.m. news conference to discuss the case, according to a news release.

A source told Call 6 Investigator Rafael Sanchez that Deputy Chief Valerie Cunningham, who oversaw the internal Bisard investigation, is stepping down as the head of the department's Professional Standards Division and has been placed on administrative leave.

It's unclear if Cunningham's resignation and the planned news conference are related.

Bisard was on duty when he struck motorcyclists stopped at a red light on Aug. 6, 2010, killing Eric Wells and injuring Kurt Weekly and Mary Mills, police said.

A blood test administered about two hours after the crash showed that Bisard had a blood-alcohol content level of 0.19 percent.

Bisard was charged with seven felonies, but former Marion County Prosecutor Carl Brizzi withdrew alcohol-related charges because he doubted the evidence would be admissible in court because standard procedures weren't followed in the way the evidence was procured.

A judge ruled in May 2011 that blood-alcohol evidence could not be used to bring charges of drunken driving, but ruled later than it could be used to support a charge of criminal recklessness.

Last week, a Marion County judge ruled that prosecutors could test a second vial of Bisard's blood drawn shortly after the crash.

Watch RTV6 and refresh this page for updates.

Print this article Back to Top