A 2012 demonstration by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission shows the dangers of fireworks.
This demonstration shows what happens when an errant bottle rocket hits a boy in the eye. In 2011, there were about 300 emergency-room treated injuries associated with bottle rockets.
Courtesy: USCPSC Flickr
This demonstration shows an errant bottle rocket hitting a boy in the eye. In 2011, there were about 300 emergency-room treated injuries associated with bottle rockets.
In this scenario, a child playing with a sparkler sets a second child's clothing on fire. Sparklers account for 17% of fireworks injuries.
Display fireworks should never be used illegally by consumers. Last year, a 47-year-old man and his brother-in-law attempted to ignite a professional display firework. When it didn't go off, the man looked into the tube. The firework detonated. The man's head and face were gone.
In this scenario, a 25-foot professional-grade quick match fuse burns nearly instaneously and lights an M1000 device. The fuse burns in about a second, blowing up a watermelon. It shows why consumers should not use professional display fireworks.
Courtesy: USPSC Flickr
In this simulation, a mannequin looks into a professional display shell while lighting the quickmatch fuse and is surprised by the instantaneous ignition, resulting in decapitation.
An illegal M1000 explodes a watermelon in CPSC's annual fireworks safety event.
A mannequin child holding a sparkler lights her friend's dress on fire. Sparklers burn at 2000 degrees.