The state fund for the victims of last year's deadly collapse at the Indiana State Fair has grown to $13.2 million.
Indiana Attorney General Greg Zoeller announced Friday that the fund now includes $6 million from the state and $7.2 million from Mid-America Sound and James Thomas Engineering Inc.
The money will be distributed to those who were injured and the estates of those who were killed in the Aug. 13, 2011, collapse.
There is one stipulation, though. For victims to file a claim, they must agree not to sue the private companies, which are targets of ongoing lawsuits following the deadly stage rigging collapse.
"We know the victims need financial help now, and they can't wait for years of litigation," Zoeller said. "This is all about putting the victims first."
Democrat Ed Delaney, who believed the state's additional $6 million was not enough, said people will need to read the fine print before agreeing to the settlement.
"They are going to have to be well advised," he said. "Giving up their rights,
that's always dangerous."
The deadline to apply for the fund is July 13.
If the effort doesnt get support from enough people, Zoeller said he will scrap it and start again. Under the law, he has until January to close out the compensation fund.
Previously, the families of those killed in the tragedy were supposed to receive $700,000, but the original $5 million fund could not meet that obligation while also compensating the injured.
Seven people were killed and dozens more were injured when rigging above the fairground's main stage gave away, crashing down on a crowd waiting for Sugarland to perform.
Copyright Copyright 2012 by
All rights reserved.
This material may not be published,
broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.