State: Nearly $5 Million Claimed In Fair Settlements

63 Of 65 Claimants Plan To Accept Cash, AG Says

Of $5 million in compensation available to victims of the Indiana State Fair stage rigging collapse, all but $2,000 has been claimed, the attorney general's office said Wednesday.

Sixty-three of 65 claimants have indicated to the state they will accept settlements, including the estates of all seven people who died in the Aug. 13 collapse before a planned performance by Sugarland. They will each receive $300,000.

Special Section: Indiana State Fair Stage Collapse

The remaining money will be distributed to 58 other people who were injured.

The state is attempting to contact the other two claimants to verify if they will accept the offers.

More than 100 tort claims involving 114 people were filed in the aftermath of the collapse. Some of the victims didn't submit medical records, and they are not included in the settlement offers.

Sugarland, concert promoters and those who built the group's stage were named in a lawsuit filed last month on behalf of 51 people connected to the collapse.

Print this article Back to Top