It's one of the saddest cases of "too little, too late" you'll ever hear of.
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has come under a lot of fire for delaying patient wait times, in some cases up to 6 months.
But now, a Vietnam veteran's family says that two years after the man's death, the VA finally reached out to him to schedule an appointment.
Veteran Doug Chase was diagnosed with a brain tumor in 2011.
His wife said she tried to move his medical care to a veterans hospital in Bedford, Mass., so he'd be closer to home.
But she says the family never heard anything back from the VA on the matter back in 2011. Doug died in August of the following year as they continued to wait.
Doug's wife, Suzanne, said she received a letter last week offering Doug medical care. Watch our video to hear from her yourself.
"It was 22 months too late. I kind of thought I was in the Twilight Zone," Suzanne said. "I'm going, 'You've got to be kidding, right?'"
Suzanne claims the VA had to know her husband was dead, because she applied for funeral benefits after his death 2 years ago.
Another terrible twist in the story: She says was denied the funeral benefits for Doug's death because Doug had never been treated at a VA hospital.
Al Jazeera's Peter Greste freed
Egypt has freed and deported one of three Al Jazeera journalists jailed in 2013 for reporting "false news."
More former Soviet nations face war
Azerbaijan has an economy seven times that of Armenia, but the nations are deadlocked in disputed territory, where skirmishes could lead to open war.
The BEST pizza deals for Super Bowl Sunday
Thinking of pizza on Super Bowl Sunday?
Romney's exit unleashes GOP race for donors
Mitt Romney's exit from the presidential campaign has unleashed a frenzy of fresh fundraising and set off a new race for the backing of…
Spain's Podemos party rising in popularity
Creating a platform of anti-austerity anti-corruption, Spain's Podemos party has risen in popularity since it was created in 2014, but can it succeed?
ISIS releases new execution video of hostage
The terrorist group ISIS has released another execution video, allegedly showing the beheading of Japanese journalist Kenji Goto.