Video: Colorado Dairy Queen serves milkshakes with floor cleaner
TheIndyChannel.com Staff , CNN
5:12 AM, Aug 25, 2014
8:48 AM, Aug 25, 2014
DENVER - A Colorado mother is demanding changes after a trip to her local Dairy Queen gave her and her son quite the discomfort.
Lisa Chase and her son stopped to get a vanilla shake from a Dairy Queen in the Greater-Denver area over the weekend. Instead, they were left with burns inside their mouths.
They found out the vanilla syrup container in the store also contained floor cleaner.
"You couldn't even taste the ice cream in it," Chase said. "It tasted like you were drinking a very strong cleanser, then the burn started instantly."
Her son said when he drank the shake, something bubbled on his tongue.
The owner of the store told RTV6 sister station 7NEWS in Denver that an employee was soaking the container in the cleaner when another worker picked it up, thinking it was clean, and filled it with syrup, using it on at least three orders.
Chase said as she complained to the manager, she overheard another customer on the phone complaining of similar symptoms.
"First they told me it was us and now they admitted it's two since I was there when the other person called. Now it's up to three people and I said, 'Well, have you gotten ahold of them to tell them what it was' and they said, 'Well they didn't leave any contact information,'" Chase said.
The owner said he has contacted the health department and poison control, and both employees were written up for not following proper procedure.
On Friday morning, Chase took her son to the hospital as a precaution. She also contacted poison control which told her the cleaner contains sodium hydroxide and can cause burns, vomiting even shock when ingested.
"I am fed up, they need to be held accountable for what they’re doing because they could’ve cost people their lives with this," Chase said.