Colts release Pro Bowl cornerback Vontae Davis

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indianapolis Colts have released Pro Bowl cornerback Vontae Davis, the team announced Thursday morning.

Davis said Thursday he felt disrespected over how the Colts handled his injury situation last week. Team officials said he wouldn't travel for Sunday's game at Houston because of a "non-injury related" issue. 

"I probably did rush back," Davis said. "Me, the type of person I am, I want to go out and play. It's unfortunate. I thought it would be handled differently. I felt like I was demoted. You want to know why and you get to a point where it should be more about respect than anything. And I felt there was no respect there."

Davis was the team's longest-tenured defensive starter. He came to the Colts in 2012 in a trade from the Miami Dolphins.

Davis said the Colts should have come to him sooner about their concerns and was upset the team used the term "non-injury related."

Pagano has repeatedly told reporters the reason Davis didn't play was a coach's decision. He didn't even address the topic Wednesday before Davis was available to reporters in the locker room.

MORE TOP STORIES | Husband, wife dead in murder suicide in Hendricks Co. MAP: Where are the sex offenders near you? | Former UIndy standout basketball player identified as victim of freak crash on I-65 |  Kindness from young people at the FFA convention inspires an Indianapolis woman to pay it forward |  Papa John's blames NFL, anthem protests for falling pizza sales

Top Trending Videos

Print this article Back to Top