George: I'm Still CEO Of IMS
IMS Leader: 'No One Has Asked Me To Leave'
Last Updated: 1456 days ago
Indianapolis Motor Speedway CEO Tony George refuted a SpeedTV report that he had been ousted from his leadership post.At a hastily assembled news conference outside IMS' administrative offices, George said early Wednesday afternoon that he was blindsided by the report, which originated from SpeedTV.
Video:"I only found out about this a little while ago," he said, adding that a board meeting referenced in the SpeedTV report was routine. "It was a typical agenda for this time of year."TheIndyChannel.com briefly posted a story that referenced the SpeedTV report Wednesday morning, but was unable to independently confirm the information from their report and decided to pull the story."No one's asked me to leave," George said. "I do what I always try to do and that's to try and run the business as we need to."George said there could have been some dealings that he wasn't aware of that took place after the Tuesday morning meeting."There was no meeting last night that I'm aware of," he said. "Maybe something did happen, but I'm not aware of it."SpeedTV's report cited unnamed sources and appeared to have been pulled from SpeedTV's Web site for a short time, but was added again.George acknowledged that some have questioned IMS' handling of its finances and that some of his decisions have been controversial."This place wakes up every morning and needs money," George said. "We spend a lot of money keeping it in the condition that we do. The Indy Racing League has, in the past, has required a lot of capital to keep it going."George has been CEO of IMS since 1989. Watch 6News and refresh this page for updates.