INDIANAPOLIS - Approximately 35 runners from the 2013 Boston Marathon unable to finish the race because of the bombings were able to complete the distance Sunday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Boston Marathon participants from Indiana, Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky and Michigan ran a half mile from Turn 4 to the Yard of Bricks on the IMS oval moments before the start of the 97th Indianapolis 500, an IMS spokesman said.
They finished less than 10 minutes before the drivers received the command to start their engines.
All of the participants in the ceremonial run at the IMS were stopped short of the finish line April 15 in Boston after two bombs exploded.
“The tragedy last month in Boston still resonates with everyone, so we wanted to give runners the chance to finish the race in front of thousands of fans who will appreciate their persistence and determination,” said Doug Boles, IMS chief operating officer. “Everyone will remember the victims while also celebrating the strength and indomitable spirit of these special competitors as they cross the hallowed Yard of Bricks.”
Susan Sugar of Columbus, Ohio was one of the participants who was able to finish the race.
"We got invited because of the Boston Marathon, so they're doing a tribute to the people who didn't finish the marathon. So we checked in and met other people who didn't finish," Sugar said.
IMS officials extended the invitation for runners to the Boston Athletic Association, which contacted those who didn’t finish the race in Indiana and surrounding states.
Follow Chris Proffitt on Twitter: @chrisproffitt