IndyCar reveals 2013 racing schedule
Season will include first-ever Triple Crown
Last Updated: 262 days ago
INDIANAPOLIS - The 2013 IZOD IndyCar Series schedule will feature 19 races over 16 weekends.
The schedule, released Sunday night, includes the return of Indy car racing to Pocono Raceway and the streets of Houston.
With a 400-mile race at Pocono Raceway joining the 500-mile events at Indianapolis Motor Speedway and Auto Club Speedway, the IZOD IndyCar Series will institute a Triple Crown award, which will pay a $1 million bonus to a driver that wins on all three ovals.
Also new for 2013 are Saturday-Sunday doubleheaders scheduled for the street courses at Detroit's Belle Isle Park, Toronto and Houston.
The 97th running of the Indianapolis 500 is scheduled for May 26. Pole Day is scheduled for May 18.
Indianapolis, the doubleheader at the Raceway at Belle Isle Park, the prime-time event at Texas Motor Speedway as well as Iowa and Pocono -- will be broadcast on ABC.
"We are proud of the on-track product we provided in 2012," Randy Bernard, INDYCAR CEO said in a news release. "From the drivers to the new car, we demonstrated that the IZOD IndyCar Series is showcasing the best racing in the world."
2013 IZOD IndyCar Series Schedule:
- March 24 -- Streets of St. Petersburg St. Petersburg, Fla. 1.8-mile street course
- April 7 -- Barber Motorsports Park Birmingham, Ala. 2.38-mile road course
- April 21 -- Streets of Long Beach Long Beach, Calif. 1.968-mile street course
- May 5 -- Streets of Sao Paulo Sao Paulo, Brazil 2.6-mile street course
- May 26 -- Indianapolis Motor Speedway Indianapolis 2.5-mile oval
- June 1 -- Raceway at Belle Isle Park Detroit 2.07-mile street course
- June 2 -- Raceway at Belle Isle Park Detroit 2.07 mile street course
- June 8 -- Texas Motor Speedway* Fort Worth, Texas 1.5-mile oval
- June 15 -- The Milwaukee Mile West Allis, Wis. 1-mile oval
- June 23 -- Iowa Speedway Newton, Iowa .875-mile oval
- July 7 -- Pocono International Raceway Long Pond, Pa. 2.5-mile oval
- July 13 -- Streets of Toronto Toronto 1.75-mile street course
- July 14 -- Streets of Toronto Toronto 1.75-mile street course
- Aug. 4 -- Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course Lexington, Ohio 2.258-mile road course
- Aug. 25 -- Raceway at Sonoma Sonoma, Calif. 2.303-mile road course
- Sept. 1 -- Streets of Baltimore Baltimore 2.04-mile street course
- Oct. 5 -- Reliant Park Houston 1.7-mile street course
- Oct. 6 -- Reliant Park Houston 1.7-mile street course
- Oct. 19 -- Auto Club Speedway* Fontana, Calif. 2-mile oval
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.