Racing community shares memories 1 year after Dan Wheldon's death
Twitter flooded with memories
Last Updated: 215 days ago
INDIANAPOLIS - The racing community on Tuesday shared memories of Dan Wheldon, marking one year after the two-time Indianapolis 500 champion was killed in a fiery wreck in Las Vegas.
Drivers, team owners and fans took to Twitter to remember Wheldon and send condolences to his widow, Susie, and the couple's two young sons.
- "Thinking of Dan. Lots of love to Susie, Seb, Oliver, (sister) Holly Wheldon and the whole Wheldon clan," Dario Franchitti tweeted.
- "It's with a very heavy heart that I am thinking of Dan today & his family. I woke up at 2 am wondering how much this day must hurt for them," Franchitti's wife, actress Ashley Judd, tweeted.
- "Can't believe its been a year since I spoke to DW. Much love to his Family all around the world!" tweeted Scott Dixon.
- Tony Kanaan tweeted, "Miss bro, Saudades," a Portuguese word that describes a deep nostalgic longing for a loved one.
- "Remembering Dan Wheldon today," Helio Castroneves tweeted.
- "Remembering Dan today, but especially praying for Susie and all his family," Ed Carpenter tweeted.
- "A year ago we lost a hero. Today and everyday we remember everything Dan Wheldon was to so many," Ryan Hunter-Reay tweeted.
- "Thinking of Dan Today," James Hinchcliffe tweeted.
- "Hard to believe a year has passed since we were able to experience DW's love for life & racing, thoughts are with the Wheldon Family today," JR Hildebrand tweeted.
- "My thoughts are with Susie, the boys and family today," Jay Howard tweeted. "Still lost for words, will never forget."
- "Remembering Dan today and thinking of his family," Will Power tweeted.
- "Thinking of 1 year ago , at times it feels like a long time ago but today it feels like yesterday . rip dan," Paul Tracy tweeted.
- "Can't believe it has already been a year. Will never forget that day," Alex Lloyd tweeted.
- "One year without Dan Wheldon. My thoughts with his family and friends," Ana Beatriz Bia tweeted.
Several racing teams also tweeted their sympathies Tuesday.
- "One year ago we lost a champion. RIP Dan Wheldon," Penske Racing tweeted.
- "Today, let us remember Dan Wheldon, an amazing man that's loved & missed by so many," Andretti Autosport tweeted. "We're keeping all of Dan's family & friends in our thoughts & prayers today."
- "Hearts are heavy as we remember the loss of our friend & talented racecar driver, Dan Wheldon, 1 year ago. Dan is deeply missed," Target Chip Ganassi Racing tweeted.
- "Today we remember Dan Wheldon, a great husband, father, brother & friend," KV Racing Technology tweeted. "Our thoughts & prayers are with his family and friends."
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway tweeted #lionheart, while the IZOD IndyCar Series tweeted, "In memory of a champion, husband, father and friend."
Copyright 2012 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.