REPORT: Pacers filed tampering charges against Lakers over pursuit of Paul George

INDIANAPOLIS -- The Indiana Pacers have reportedly asked the NBA to launch an investigation into the Los Angeles Lakers for tampering during their pursuit of Paul George earlier this year, according to multiple sources. 

ESPN reports that Lakers' president Magic Johnson is at the center of that investigation. 

The league issued a statement on Sunday saying a probe is underway. 

According to NBA rules, team officials are not allowed to make contact with players or their agents to discuss future plans while they are still under contract with another team. 

George told the Pacers in June that he planned to opt out of his contract in 2018 and was planning to sign a free-agent deal with the Lakers. He was traded to Oklahoma City Thunder for Victor Oladipo and Domantas Sabonis a short time later.

READ | Paul George says goodbye, thanks to Pacers fan after trade announcement

According to ESPN, George could be eligible to sign a four-year deal worth approximately $130 million with the Los Angeles Lakers during his free agency, if the investigation doesn't hinder it. 

RELATED | Moving trucks at Paul George's house? Not a surprise | PG Rumors: Cavs, Pacers discuss three-team Paul George trade deal with Nuggets | Paul George left off all-NBA Team, loses out on $30M | REPORT: Paul George to leave Pacers after next season | REPORT: Pacers, Lakers in trade talks for Paul George

Print this article Back to Top