INDIANAPOLIS - A social service agency has apologized for a mistake after a mother of five contacted the Call 6 Investigators about being turned away from an appointment to receive energy assistance.
Community Action of Greater Indianapolis officials said letters with new appointments went out Friday after dozens of families were rejected at the door last week.
Andrea Thomas, a working mother of five, received an appointment card from the agency to show up at the Indiana State Fairgrounds on Nov. 15 for energy assistance. She said it didn’t work out as planned.
"I mean this is crazy, some has to be held accountable," Thomas said.
The Call 6 Investigators received pictures of dozens of cars circling outside the event as they waited and then learned their appointments were canceled.
The concerns were taken straight to Edgar Tipton Jr., the president of Community Action of Greater Indianapolis.
"We made a mistake. A mistake we apologize for," Tipton said.
Tipton said his organization was looking for a new way to serve more people at a bigger venue, but their overbooking of appointments turned their plan into a mess.
Tipton said hundreds of people could have been impacted.
Despite the mishap, the group expects to help about 13,000 families with energy assistance -- which is possibly $10 million to $13 million in help.
"We're taking care of all the people we can until our money runs out," Tipton said.
Those who were impacted will begin new appointments starting on Dec. 2.