ATLANTA, Ga. - A man working in his yard was blown out of his shoes when he was struck by lightning.
Sean O'Connor, of Atlanta, said he was working in his yard Sunday on what seemed like a perfect, sunny day.
"Just as I picked up the rake, I heard a loud-crashing sound. A few moments later I was picking myself up off the ground. I had the taste of blood in my mouth. I noticed my leg was burning a little bit," O'Connor said.
He was home alone and it took him a while to realize what had happened to him. When he realized he had been struck by lightning, he called his wife who urged him to go to the emergency room.
"My leg hairs were singed. I could smell the burnt hair. I looked across the driveway and I could see my boots over there. They were no longer on my feet and one of them was smoking. At that point, I realized I had just been hit by lightning," he said.
Because the lightning strike interrupted his heartbeat, doctors kept him in the emergency room overnight.
According to the National Weather Service, the estimated odds of being struck by lightning in a year are more than 1 in 700,000.
Mom shocked to see sex toy company at movies
A mother in Florida took her daughter and niece to see a children's movie when she saw a sex toy company there promoting the film…
1st Church of Cannabis: 1 toke, 1 smile, 1 love
The over-arching message of the first service at the First Church of Cannabis: "I love you all"
'Tattoo Nightmares:' Awkward tat gets a revamp
On 'Tattoo Nightmares,' a cyclist with an embarrassing Lance Armstrong tat got some new, patriotic ink that he's truly proud to…