Bystanders pull man from fire, crews rescue puppy from smoking building
Last Updated: 54 days ago
INDIANAPOLIS - Although a fire destroyed a pet grooming business and damaged other buildings at a Wayne Township strip mall overnight, bystanders were able to save a man and fire crews rescued a small, fuzzy friend in the process.
The Wayne Township Fire Department said crews were called to a fire at roughly 1:50 a.m. Saturday at 4955 W. Washington St.
Officials said a business at the strip mall at that address was occupied by four people moving furniture who said they smelled smoke. They said they discovered a fire next door at Peek A Paws Grooming, and heard someone inside.
The people said they eventually located a man inside and dragged him out of the front door just before first responders arrived at the scene. The man was taken to Wishard Hospital for smoke inhalation, and officials said he was alert and talking to EMS personnel during his transport.
Meanwhile, fire crews were able to rescue a puppy from the fire. The puppy, Sugar, looked a bit shook up in photos, but no worse for the wear. They said she was in good condition and was turned back over to the building’s owner.
The fire department said all three businesses at the strip mall suffered fire and smoke damage, and that the pet grooming shop was destroyed. Crews said total damages were estimated at $75,000.
UPDATE: Officials said the man pulled from the fire was stable Saturday night. They are waiting to speak with him before determining a cause for the fire.
Copyright 2013 Scripps Media, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.