Teen Charged In Downtown Shootings To Remain Jailed

Judge Denies Request For Reduced Bond

The teen accused of opening fire downtown during the final weekend of Indiana Black Expo's Summer Celebration will remain in jail.

A Marion County judge on Wednesday refused to reduce the $250,000 bond for Shamus Patton, 17, who is facing 14 charges, including criminal gang activity, in the shootings of nine people, 6News' Derrik Thomas reported.

Prosecutors said Patton's bond was set so high because he had been arrested seven times between February 2008 and this June, with officers finding a gun in his home in May 2009.

"Yes, it's an extraordinary bond. It was an extraordinary situation that only by luck, or perhaps by the grace of God, we aren't here on multiple homicides," said Deputy Prosecutor Lawrence Brodeur. "Certainly, he should stay in jail for the protection of the community."

Defense attorney Eugene Hollander argued that Patton could be adequately supervised at home.

"Of course I'm disappointed," he said. "I think Shamus would do much better on the streets being regulated, going to school and working."

The judge's decision did not sit well with Patton's family either, who expressed their anger outside court.

"Yeah I'm upset because everybody changes," said Patton's grandfather.

Patton has pleaded not guilty to adult charges of aggravated battery, a Class B felony, eight counts of battery, a Class C felony, two counts of criminal recklessness, a Class C felony, one count of criminal gang activity, a Class D felony, along with two misdemeanors -- possessing a handgun without a license and dangerous possession of a firearm.

If convicted on all counts, he could face more than 100 years in prison.

Patton did not say anything while being led back to jail on Wednesday. His trial is set for Oct. 4.

TheIndyChannel previously posted an incorrect image with this story. We apologize for the error..