INDIANAPOLIS -- Happy National Pasta Day!
To celebrate this carb-o-licious holiday, our own chef Amanda Starrantino is sharing her recipe for an easy and delicious meal with homemade pasta.
What you need:
- Semolina Flour, “00” Flour.. (fabulouspasta.com/guide/best-pasta-flour/ - this is a good article to help people choose the right type of flour to make pasta) (1 cup per serving)
- Eggs (1 egg per serving)
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 1 tube of tomato paste
- 4 tbsps crème fraiche
- parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large challot, diced
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped and seeded
- 1 bunch parsley, chopped
- 1 small bunch basil
- red pepper flakes
To make the pasta:
- Take one cup of flour (with a little extra) and use your fingers to create a “bowl” with the flour.
- Break one raw egg into the “bowl” of the flour.
- Using a fork, gently whisk the egg to mix with the flour. Slowly add more and more flour to the egg.
- Once the four/egg mixture becomes too difficult to use a fork to mix with, start to use your hands.
- Continue kneading the dough with your hands until the dough forms into a ball and has a dough-boy texture (slightly squishy).
- Wrap cling wrap around the dough ball.
- Set in refrigerator at least 20 minutes before rolling out.
- After dough ball sits in fridge for at least 20 minutes. Start to roll out dough.
- With a pasta maker or a rolling pin, roll out the pasta dough to desired thickness.
- Cut pasta with a knife (or pasta maker) into desired type of pasta (in video we made spaghetti).
- Place cut pasta pieces on wax paper (so it doesn’t stick).
- Add pasta to pot of boiling water.
- Pasta is cooked when it is floating on top of water (takes 2-3 minutes to get there).
- Add pasta to desired sauce.
To make the sauce:
-Heat drizzle of olive oil in large sauce pan.
-Add 1lb. of ground chicken (or beef) to heated olive oil. Add salt/pepper.
-Brown ground chicken (takes about 3 minutes to get there).
-Stir in diced shallots & garlic. Let cook with chicken for about 3 minutes.
-Add tomato paste to pan. Stir together and cook for about 2 minutes.
-Add a cup of water, chopped tomatoes, and desired amount of red pepper flakes.
-Wait for the mixture to start to simmer. Once it starts simmering, reduce heat to a medium level and let cook until the water is dissolved to create a thicker consistency (this can take about 8 minutes).
-Turn off heat. Add crème fraiche and parsley. Mix well.
-Top with basil and parmesan.