There are many overpriced things that people will continue to buy.
Thanks to big box stores, dollar stores, and Amazon, prices of many items haven't gone up much in recent years. But some things have, and we are now paying ridiculous markups on them.
You can buy a book on Amazon for just a few bucks. But then, why do college textbooks cost hundreds of dollars each?
A report by Cheatsheet.com lists college textbooks with a 40 percent markup, as one of 'The Most Ridiculously Overpriced Items We Keep Paying Way Too Much For.'
Here are some of the items:
- Name brand cosmetics have a 78% markup over the generic version.
- Airport food. A 200% markup over what you'd pay in the supermarket.
- Name brand printer ink. A 300% markup over no-name ink.
- Designer jeans. A 500% markup, compared with basic jeans.
- Beat by Dre headphone: Which it calls $18 headphones for $200.
What's the most ridiculously priced item of all? Movie theater popcorn, with a 1,000% markup.
The report says you are paying more than $5 for 49 cents worth of popcorn.
In most cases, you can save a lot if you skip the name brand, and look for an off-brand that is almost as good.