The man survived being shot twice in the head and says he knows who shot him, but he believes police are taking him seriously.
Armando Shields, 17; accused of shooting a man in the head during a robbery
Austin Mealer, shot twice in the head
KOKOMO, Ind. -- Police have arrested a 17-year-old in the attempted murder of a 23-year-old Kokomo man.
Austin Mealer, 23, of Kokomo told RTV6 on May 27 he was robbed of his cellphone and $300 by two suspects, who he said both shot him in the head.
Mealer survived, but he and his mother have been vocal about wanting justice.
Armando Shields was arrested Saturday and is preliminarily charged with attempted murder and robbery resulting in serious bodily injury, both felonies.
Shields, 17, is due in court on June 7 and is being charged as an adult.
A warrant has also been issued for a 19-year-old suspect in the attack, but he has not yet been arrested.
“We don’t need people like that on the street,” Mealer told RTV6. “The law needs to do their job.”
Mealer told police he played dead after being shot the first time, and heard one of the suspects say “should I put another one in him” before he was shot a second time.
Mealer said the suspects were considered acquaintances.
Shields is known by the street name “Mondo Luis”, according to the probable cause affidavit filed in the case.
Aysha Guffey, Austin’s mother, told RTV6 Monday she was relieved at least one arrest had been made.
If you have any information on the second suspect or the shooting, contact Central Indiana Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS.
On Friday, prosecutors formally charged 18-year-old Ka'Ron Bickham-Hurst with the murder of Dr. Kevin Rodgers last month.
More packages than ever will be shipped this holiday season – and that means more work than ever for the second-largest FedEx hub in…
The Indiana Department of Child Services is failing to meet state standards when it comes to caseloads for family case managers, Call 6…
The new director of the Indiana Department of Child Services sat down with Call 6 Investigator Kara Kenney to answer tough questions about an…
The director of the Indiana Department of Child Services, Mary Beth Bonaventura, is stepping down effective December 27.