After filling up his tank - a technician found a gas combination with mostly water in his tank.
INDIANAPOLIS -- A $40 fill-up at an Indianapolis gas station turned out to cost a local man more than $500 after the fuel was contaminated with water.
Steve Schwartz usually heads out with a full gas tank. But one day, he noticed he was running on empty. So he pulled over to the Citgo on the 3900 block of S. Meridian Street in Indianapolis.
With more than 16 gallons of fuel, he was good -- for about a mile.
"After I put the gas in the car, all the lights on the dash went on and the car started to shudder," Schwartz said.
He took his 2005 Lexus to be checked out. A technician took a gasoline sample and noted "mostly water found inside the gas tank. Drained out bad fuel."
The $37.50 he first spent at the gas pump led to a repair bill of $550.
"I went to the owner several times and admitted there was a gas contamination problem and he told me would make an insurance claim and have them contact me the following day."
But the call from the insurance company never came. RTV6 reached out to the owner of MH Oil Inc., and a check for the full reimbursement was issued.
If something like this happens to you, report the problem to the state's Weights and Measures Division.
MORE TOP STORIES | Woman hospitalized with foot infection days after getting pedicure at Noblesville spa | Deputy Jacob Pickett's K-9 stops alone at his casket, wags his tail to honor his fallen partner | Missing Westfield woman's body found in car pulled from retention pond | Indiana legislative session descends into chaos on final day | Woman arrested on neglect charges after kids found in bad conditions
Top Trending Videos
The Indiana Supreme Court's ruling Monday means local authorities can no longer impose a fine on rail companies when a train blocks a…
Brittney Eaton is no stranger to medical tubes and machines at her side.
If you've been nearby when a train passes through one of the dozens of tracks in Johnson County you might have noticed the lack of safety…
You've likely seen those blue emergency call boxes along the White River Trail, but it's less likely you've ever had to use them.
A former deputy Monroe County auditor was arrested by federal and local officials Wednesday for possession of child pornography.