NewsCoronavirus

Actions

Several Indiana hospitals canceling elective surgeries during COVID-19 emergency

14 Indiana hospitals penalized for patient safety in 2017
Posted at 12:27 PM, Mar 18, 2020
and last updated 2020-03-18 12:27:17-04

INDIANAPOLIS — Multiple hospitals in Indiana are canceling or postponing non-urgent surgeries in preparation for an influx of patients as the COVID-19 pandemic worsens.

Reid Health in Richmond announced Wednesday that patients scheduled for elective surgery beginning Thursday will have their procedures delayed and rescheduled.

A release from Reid said the hospital is beginning with two weeks of scheduling and deciding each week about extending the cancellations, which it said is likely.

"Our patients are being extremely appreciative and understanding, because of national awareness about COVID-19," Reid Health vice president Billie Kester said. "We know these steps will help us slow the spread of this virus and therefore hopefully avoid the healthcare system being overwhelmed in a spike of illness that exceeds our resources."

IU Health also said Monday it is rescheduling elective surgeries at all its hospitals and facilities and many visits will be moved to virtual care.

For the time being, IU Health will continue to host newborn and well-child visits for children younger than two years old in order to complete the primary immunization series.

IU Health previously announced temporary visitor restrictions at all its hospitals.

Ascension St. Vincent Hospital first announced Sunday that all non-urgent procedures would be discontinued beginning Tuesday, while Community Health determined Monday it would postpone elective surgeries.