Coroner: Boy Fatally Beaten 'From Head To Toe'

Mom Claims Boyfriend Drowned 12-Year-Old Son

A 12-year-old boy found dead in his family's Greensburg home last week died of multiple traumatic blunt-force trauma from head to toe, the Decatur County coroner ruled Tuesday.

Tasha Parsons, 29, originally admitted to investigators Monday that she had fatally beaten her son, Devin Parsons, because he had hidden her pain pills and wouldn't tell her where they were, police said.

But in a jailhouse phone call to family members Monday night, Parsons changed her story, saying her boyfriend, Waldo Jones Jr., had drowned the boy, 6News' Joanna Massee reported.

Parsons was arrested Monday on a murder charge, and Jones was arrested on a charge of neglect of a dependent, causing death.

Police said Parsons told investigators that she used her hands, feet, a belt and a metal tray to beat her son over a period of several hours and that Jones participated.

Tasha Parsons

Emergency medical personnel were called to the home on Friday afternoon. Devin Parsons was pronounced dead at the scene.

According to court records, the Department of Child Services had previously investigated the home in 2009.

DCS Director James Payne told 6News on Tuesday that his agency will perform an expedited review of what happened since that initial investigation.

"Once the child protection system has been involved with a child, we want to look at anything that happens later to see if we did the right thing, or if there are things we should have done differently," Payne said. "In some cases, there are such mistakes made that there are some personnel changes that have to be made. In other circumstances, it's just retraining."

Records show the 2009 DCS case was closed after Parsons reached an agreement with the agency and the court.

Sharon Pierce, with Prevent Child Abuse Indiana, said most of the time, children who are returned to their homes after suffering abuse are OK.

"Child abusers can change and do change, and we've got good research to help us with strategies on how to do that," she said. Investigators planned to return to the home after the autopsy to gather more evidence.