IMPD Officer Moore Passes Away

News Conference Planned For 11:30 A.M.

Indianapolis police Officer David Moore passed away early Wednesday morning, three days after he was shot three times during a traffic stop in the 3400 block of Temple Avenue.

Moore died at about 6:30 a.m. with his family by his side.

UPDATED Slideshow: Watch:

Moore’s police vehicle was placed on display for people who want to visit and pay respects, Sgt. Linda Jackson said. The vehicle is at IMPD North District at 3120 E. 30th St.

Moore's parents, retired Indianapolis police Lt. Spencer Moore and Sgt. Joanne Moore, spoke about their son's life at a news conference late Wednesday morning at Wishard Memorial Hospital.

Doctors at Wishard Memorial Hospital and Moore's parents said the officer's condition deteriorated overnight.

"He passed quietly. The serious damage that was done to him caused him to be brain dead," Spencer Moore said.

Moore had been in the intensive care unit at Wishard Memorial Hospital after he was shot twice in the face and once in the thigh on Sunday. A fourth shot fired at Moore's chest bruised the officer, but his bulletproof vest kept that bullet from piercing his skin.

Rep. Andre Carson, D-Indianapolis, issued a statement Wednesday morning praising the fallen officer for his bravery and for answering the call to serve.

"Let us never forget the daily sacrifices our law enforcement officers make in order to protect our families and neighborhoods," Carson said. "I've asked my colleagues in Congress to pay respect to Officer Moore by going back to their districts and thanking their local law enforcement officers for the work they do and the daily dangers they place themselves in to protect us all."

Ciesielski announced Tuesday that Moore's family was in the process of "giving David back to God" after tests showed the damage was considerable.

Doctors said one of the bullets fractured Moore's spine and that another passed through the brain stem and vital blood vessels.

Family members arranged for Moore's organs to be donated.

"David gave everything to others and to the community in this life, and he will continue to give to others in his next life as the family's meeting with doctors to begin the process of organ donation," said Ciesielski, choking up at times. "The Moore family and the entire IMPD family would like to express their sincere appreciation to the entire Indianapolis community for their prayers and support."

Ciesielski, who made the Tuesday announcement flanked by Mayor Greg Ballard and Marion County Public Safety Director Frank Straub, said officers held vigil at the hospital.

Moore has been an IMPD officer for six years and was named the department's rookie of the year in 2005. He fatally shot a man while on duty in 2008 after a series of shootings in the 500 block of North Goodlet Avenue.

"Bravery, courage, honor, commitment to his community, love for his fellow man -- that describes David," Ciesielski said. "David exemplifies what is best in policing, what is best in an IMPD officer."

Several members of Moore's family are also police officers. His father is Lt. Spencer Moore, and his mother is Sgt. Joanne Moore, whose beat is on the city's southeast side.

Thomas Hardy, 60, is expected to be charged in Moore's shooting. He appeared in court Tuesday on a robbery charge in connection with a Dollar General store heist that happened within an hour of the shooting.

Condolences for Moore's family can be left in the comment section below or on the 6News Facebook page. Some comments may be used on air.