Kids Start Garage Fire With Magnifying Glass

Grass Ignites, Fire Spreads To Garage

Kids playing with a magnifying glass caused a garage fire in Marion, officials said.

The Marion Fire Department was dispatched Thursday evening to the 400 block of East Lincoln Street, where they found a garage and a nearby pickup truck in flames.

Witnesses initially told fire investigators that juveniles had been seen lighting fireworks behind the garage just before the fire started, but Marion Mayor Wayne Seybold said kids with a magnifying glass were to blame for the blaze.

Crews later determined that the garage had been converted into an apartment. The occupants of the apartment lost all of their possessions in the fire.

The house sustained heavy damage from the heat, and a neighboring house and garage were also damaged.

No injuries were reported.

Print this article Back to Top