News

Actions

11 from Fishers hospitalized after ingesting THC-laced gummy bears

Posted: 11:07 AM, Jul 07, 2017
Updated: 2017-07-07 15:09:41Z

LA PORTE COUNTY, Ind. -- A group from Fishers was hospitalized after they ate drug-infused gummy bears and became sick while camping in La Porte County on Wednesday.

Deputies with the La Porte County Sheriff's Department were called to the 5200 N block of CR325 for a person who had called for medical assistance. When they arrived, they found a 19-year-old male along the side of the road.

The man told deputies that he had eaten an unknown type of drug along with a group of friends while they were camping and they were extremely ill, but because he was not from the area he couldn’t tell them where his friends were at.

Deputies eventually located the home where the incident occurred and found ten other 18 and 19-year-olds sick inside the home.

RELATED | Greenfield police warn parents of drug-laced 'Sweet Tarts' candies

All 11 of them said they were from Fishers and were staying with the relative of one of the group.

According to deputies, each person in the group complained of rapid heart rate, pain in their legs, blurred vision and some were having hallucinations. They told deputies they had eaten half of a gummy bear that was supposedly infused with THC. (THC is the street term for tetrahydrocannabinol, which is an active ingredient found in marijuana.)

All 11 people were taken to the hospital for treatment. Two of the group were tested and found to have high levels of THC in their system.

Deputies are still trying to determine where the gummies came from and if any charges will be filed. 

MORE TOP STORIES |  Stranger confronts woman she says was hitting child in Indy Kroger  Three injured in armed robbery, carjacking in Greenwood  |  Indiana has a statewide 'Tenderloin Trail'  |  Police: 9-year-old shot, killed by child with unsecured gun  IPS plans to close Broad Ripple High School, convert Arlington and Northwest to middle schools