WESTFIELD — Thirteen employees became ill from epoxy fumes Friday night at a safety equipment supplying company in Westfield.
Matt Biljanic, a public information officer with the Westfield Fire Department, said the department received a call around 8:30 p.m. of people becoming ill from the fumes at IMMI.
An epoxy floor was being put down at the company located near U.S. 31 and 191st Street, and fumes were recirculated through in the air conditioning unit.
The people who became ill were checked out at area hospitals.
All 13 employees were released from area hospitals by 1:30 a.m. Saturday, Julie Cooley, director of corporate communications said in a press release.
“The health and safety of our team is always our first concern, and we are thankful everyone is ok,” Cooley said in the release. “While the issue has been resolved and there are no lingering fumes in the building, we will remain closed this weekend as a precautionary measure. We want to thank the Westfield Fire Department, first responders, and medical staff from nearby hospitals who took excellent care of our team members.”