ZIONSVILLE, Ind. -- A Zionsville, Indiana man is facing 10 new charges more than a year-and-a-half after a deadly crash in Boone County.
Jack Kaplan, 22, was arrested in connection with the death of James Dupler, 21.
The crash happened in October 2016. After the crash, Kaplan told police he was too drunk to drive, so he asked Dupler to drive instead.
Police now believe Kaplan was the one driving, not Dupler. Police also say Kaplan called his father before 911.
Boone County Mike Nielson released the following statement:
"I am so proud of the meticulous and thorough work from our Investigations Division, Crime Scene Investigators and FACT Team in this case. It has paid off today. These evidentiary facts were found through time and diligent work; then presented to the Boone County Prosecutor’s Office. They reviewed the facts and the overwhelming evidence in the probable cause affidavit, and believed there is enough to charge Mr. Kaplan with this crime. I want to extend my heartfelt sorrow to the Dupler family for their loss. This is a sad and tragic event where no one wins in the end. But, Mr. Kaplan will have his day in court, and hopefully the truth will prevail.”
Kaplan now faces the following charges:
- Failure to Remain at the Scene of an Accident, a Level 3 Felony
- Reckless Homicide, a Level 5 Felony
- Failure to Remain at the Scene of an Accident Resulting in Death, a Level 5 Felony
- Causing Death When Operating a Motor Vehicle While Intoxicated, a Level 5 Felony
- Causing Death When Operating a Motor Vehicle with an ACE of .08 or more, a Level 5 Felony
- Obstruction of Justice, a Level 6 Felony
- Operating a Vehicle While Intoxicated Endangering a Person, a Class A Misdemeanor
- Operating a Vehicle While Intoxicated, a Class C Misdemeanor
- Operating a Vehicle with an ACE of .08 or More, a Class C Misdemeanor
- Public Intoxication, a Class B Misdemeanor
MORE TOP STORIES | More than 35,000 pounds of ground beef sold at Kroger stores in Indiana recalled for contamination | Body found on Indy's southeast side identified as missing 35-year-old man | Mother wants answers after day care cliams another child beat up her 1-year-old son | State closes Indianapolis day care after 1-year-old seriously hurt
Top Trending Videos