NewsLocal NewsCrime


Seven people injured in shooting in Muncie near Ball State University

Posted at 2:15 AM, May 18, 2019
and last updated 2019-05-18 17:53:07-04

MUNCIE — Multiple people were injured in a shooting early Saturday morning in Muncie near Ball State University's campus.

Muncie Police Department officers and emergency personnel were called around 1 a.m. to the 2400 block of West Euclid Avenue on the report of a shooting.

At least two people have life-threatening injuries, Muncie police chief Joe Winkle said. One person was taken by an air ambulance to a hospital in Indianapolis.

MORE | Man arrested in connection with shooting in Muncie near Ball State

Investigators are still interviewing about 30 witnesses around 7 a.m. Saturday morning, Winkle said. They are still working to determine what the motive was in the shooting.

The identities of the victims or the suspect, who Winkle says is in custody, have not been released.

Muncie Mayor Dennis Tyler said he has spoken with Winkle, who has been working with other officers since the shooting happened.

Ball State University says at one least one of the victims is a student and was released from the hospital.

“Keeping all members of our campus community safe is a top priority,” Ball State President Geoffrey Mearns said. “This is a very unfortunate event. We wish all the victims a full and prompt recovery.”

Counselors and other personnel will be available to the campus community, university spokesman Marc Ransford said.

"I’d like to commend all of the officers responding for a great job dealing with a extremely difficult and dangerous incident," Tyler said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families. Our law enforcement will do a thorough investigation and hopefully justice will be served for the victims."

Vice President Mike Pence says he was briefed on the shooting when he landed Saturday morning in Muncie on his way to deliver a commencement speech at Taylor University.

Ball State University Police issued an emergency alert just after 1 a.m. informing people of the active investigation in the area.

An all clear alert was issued at 1:43 a.m.

At this time, no further information has been released.