INDIANAPOLIS — Several streets will be blocked Wednesday during and after former U.S. Senator Richard Lugar's funeral.
According to a release from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, motorists can expect street closures and traffic delays from 9 a.m. through 4 p.m. Wednesday.
Here is a list of streets to avoid:
9 a.m.: Expect delays on I-465 north and on the west side
11:30 a.m.: Delaware Street between Washington and Market Streets will be closed for the raising of the Garrison flag
11:45 a.m.: Capitol Avenue will be closed between Ohio Street and Washington Street
Noon to 1:15 p.m.: 86th Street will be closed between Meridian Street and Spring Mill Road
12:05 p.m.: The funeral procession will leave the Statehouse
The funeral procession will also take the following route:
• South on Capitol Avenue to Maryland Street
• East on Maryland Street to Delaware Street
• North on Delaware Street to Michigan Street
• West on Michigan Street to Illinois Street
• North on Illinois Street to 34th Street
• East on 34th Street to Washington Boulevard
• North on Washington Boulevard to 43rd Street
• West on 43rd Street to Meridian Street
• North on Meridian Street to 86th Street
• West on 86th Street to St. Luke's Church. Arrival is scheduled at 12:50 p.m.
People can also expect delays on 86th Street from 1:15 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. when it will be reduced to one lane in each direction. Additionally, there will be delays from 2:45 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. on 86th Street between Spring Mill Road and Meridian, and Meridian from 86th to I-465 when dignitaries leave the funeral.
There will be delays on the north and west interstate systems from 2:50 p.m. to 4 p.m.