WESTFIELD, Ind. -- A very close call for a Westfield family after they were overcome by carbon monoxide in their home.
"Gas meter detected high levels of CO on all levels of the house. And they were dangerous levels," said Nick Southerland, Westfield Fire Dept.
A husband, wife, two children and a friend developed nausea, vomiting, headaches and dizziness Wednesday morning.
"Luckily one of the family members woke up and had to go to work and started to recognize those signs and symptoms and started asking other family members, seeing what they were feeling, and they were able to leave the residence. And had it been an hour longer, they might not have been able to do that," said Southerland.
All five were taken to the hospital and released a short time later.
The fire department says a broken vent pipe from a gas heater caused the carbon monoxide leak.
There were no CO detectors in the home.
Carbon monoxide poisoning can result form leaving gas stoves on, broken heating or air conditioning, or leaving your car running the garage.
The fire departments recommends getting your appliances checked once a year.
Top Trending Videos
Authorities say a 29-year-old man has died after being shot while hunting with his brother and a boy.
Warm air works in but rain chances increase throughout the weekend.
The death of a couple who mysteriously disappeared back in December and were found dead, locked in an embrace in a Madison County field has…
Several Indiana lawmakers have said they are either suspending or donating their pay during the current government shut down.
For the first time ever, firefighters in Kokomo are working without a labor contract after a judge ruled in favor of the city’s…
A small plane made a hard landing at the Indianapolis Metropolitan Airport in Fishers Tuesday evening.
After a video of a Noblesville high school student chanting racial slurs with a Nazi flag draped over his shoulders went viral, the student…
The Fishers City Council voted unanimously on Tuesday to change city codes so that vaping and chewing tobacco will be banned from public…
The City of Fishers could be cracking down on vaping and chewing tobacco in its public parks.
After taking 2017 off from touring, the Dave Matthews Band will be coming to central Indiana for a concert this summer.
Trees are being cleared for a 12-foot wide planned trail in Noblesville, connecting Hazel Dell Road East to Willowview Road,as the second…