INDIANAPOLIS -- Live poultry kept in backyard flocks are linked to several multi-state outbreaks of salmonella infection that have sickened more than 200 people in 44 states including Indiana.
According to the Center for Disease Control, the first illnesses were reported on February 15 with nearly 100 reported just in the past month.
So far, 212 illnesses have been linked to the certain strains including four in Indiana.
At least four people in Indiana have fallen Center for Disease Control is investigating a multi-state outbreak of Salmonella linked to contact with live poultry in backyard flocks.
The CDC says 34 people have been hospitalized but no deaths have been reported in connection with the illnesses.
The CDC says the only link they’ve found so far is contact with live poultry. The animals were reportedly obtained from several different sources.
The six states so far not affected are North Dakota, South Dakota, Virginia, New Jersey, Maryland and Delaware.
Quick Tips for Preventing Salmonella from the CDC:
- Cook poultry, ground beef, and eggs thoroughly. Do not eat or drink foods containing raw eggs, or raw (unpasteurized) milk.
- If you are served undercooked meat, poultry or eggs in a restaurant, don't hesitate to send it back to the kitchen for further cooking.
- Wash hands, kitchen work surfaces, and utensils with soap and water immediately after they have been in contact with raw meat or poultry.
- Be particularly careful with foods prepared for infants, the elderly, and the immunocompromised.
- Wash hands with soap after handling reptiles, birds, or baby chicks, and after contact with pet feces.
- Avoid direct or even indirect contact between reptiles (turtles, iguanas, other lizards, snakes) and infants or immunocompromised persons.
- Don't work with raw poultry or meat, and an infant (e.g., feed, change diaper) at the same time.
- Mother's milk is the safest food for young infants. Breastfeeding prevents salmonellosis and many other health problems.
MORE TOP STORIES | Homeowner selling home, moving out amid spat with HOA over goldfish ponds in driveway | Carmel named No.1 place to live in America | Suspected drug dealer arrested in heroin overdose | CALL 6: Drug maker stopped making popular antibiotic Levaquin amid concerns about mental health side effects | 1988: Indiana State police launch high-performance vehicle fleet with Ford Mustang
Top Trending Videos